Okay, knitting mojo still in the funk, but hat knitting mojo is seemingly unaffected...
Maltese Fisherman's hat from Elizabeth Zimmerman's "Knitter's Almanac".
I made one of these before with some bulky merino, and it looked cool, but very helmet-y. In came Mom, (once upon a time fashion designer) with the suggestion I try it in ribbon. In this example I used 1 skein of Tilli Tomas Cleopatra. 100% silk ribbon with glass beads. It had to work with one skein. No way I was going to buy another one; ouch!$!$!
So....I made some modifications...
Needle size 11; getting about 2 st to 1". I knit loose.
CO'd 30 sts.
Knit 6 rows instead of 10.
Started ear shaping rows with K13 (not K17), continued with K11, K back, etc. down to K7.
2 rows after the "Ear-shaping finished", I K13, (M1, K1) 4 times (instead of 6), K13 = 34 sts.
I cast on 8sts for the front; total 42 sts.
K 12 rounds for hat depth.
Decreased like this: (K4, K2tog) around. K 1 row even. (K3, K2tog). K 1 row. etc. Last row is K2tog around = 7sts. Draw through.
I had a little yarn left, so I single crochetted a row around the face. Tied leftovers at bottom of earflaps for ribbon-tassle effect.
In other news....the Insubordiknit monster hat made it to Sweden.