Monday, October 02, 2006

What I "inherited"

One of my co-workers, who is a crochetter, gave me her mother's knitting needle and pattern collection.
Some of these needles are bakelite, the rest are mostly metal or plastic. There are some singles, and check out that sz 15 yellow pair on the right where it must've broken and the person re-sharpened it. (p.s. if you want to know if it's bakelite: rub a spot with your thumb very fast until it heats up. Smell. It will give off a weird stinky chemical smell. You can also run it under hot water briefly for the same result.)

There are some really funky patterns within these pages. The ones from the 60s and 70s gave me a good laugh, but I liked the really old patterns the best. Check these out:
Amigurumi Ancestors or what?
I love these lounge socks! Total Xmas present material!

I think the look on this girl's face is priceless...

I might post more pics later of the weirder ones.

2 comments:

  1. That would be so exciting to get such a "surprise package". I've got all my moms needles, but not those cool old patterns. Please share some more pics with us! ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3:20 AM

    Such old patterns are always a scream just to look at - but then again, there's always something amongst them that totally rocks - just like the lounge socks, they are so cool! I agree with Monika, I'd also love to see some more pics of these vintage patterns!

    ReplyDelete