Sunday, May 20, 2007

I'm Baaaaaack!

Wow! Crazy fun trip to Korea, but it was lots of work too (actually, it's not over yet; we're doing a recording starting tomorrow)! Since I can't stuff all my pics on one post, I'll do the knitty things on this post, and the non-knitty pics on the next one.

The flight to Korea is 14 hours one way. (talk about a sore bottom!) When I wasn't sleeping, I was working on this Knitwhits Flore Hat Kit. It's a layered flower petal design in cotton yarn, sized for an infant.
I dragged this hat with me on all our bus trips to the various concert halls (Traffic in Korea is a major pain. It would take our bus a good half hour to go around the block. Being able to knit kept me sane.)

On one of the bus trips, I showed my little hat-in-progress to the woman pictured on the left. As it turns out, she is none other than the famous knitwear designer Melissa Leapman!!! She was at our concerts! Melissa mentioned she knew the designer of the Flore Hat, Tina Whitmore, and said she'd tell her I was knitting her hat. I was totally blubbering and rather embarrassed that all I had to show a famous designer was a couple rows of knitting... I was even too shy to fully blurt out the name of my blog.

My friend brought her baby Ayano on this tour. She's wearing the booties I knit for her!
And yes, the Flore Hat is for her too!

I didn't see too much yarn-related stuff in Korea, but I did buy this ultra-cool metallic crochetted bag from a vendor in Insadong. Turns out he went to the Parson's School of Design here in NYC, and currently teaches crochet in Korea. This was the only non-reproduction souvenir I found in Korea.

5 comments:

  1. Wow, that must have been an exciting trip! What a nice surprise meeting a knitwear designer! The baby and the booties are so cute. The baby hat will be so adorable, and your new bag looks fantastic! I love the color! Welcome back home! ;o)
    P.S. I love my Forrester spindle. I'll buy one more the next time I'm there as a gift. I'll knit a hat for myself with my first spun yarns.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I saw your comment on my blog, I wondered if you were back! Glad to see you had a great trip. That you met a famous knitwear designer is so freaking cool!! Does she live in Korea or was she just visiting and catching your concerts?

    I *love* that baby hat. I wish I'd seen it when I was pregnant, although since my kid hates hats, it wouldn't have seen much use. Do you think it would work for a toddler or is it too babyish? I have a friend whose baby wears hats all the time...

    ReplyDelete
  3. glad to hear that you had a good time in korea! your hat is really cute, too, and i love the bag you found!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you are home safe and had such a good trip including meeting a knitting celebrity! I'll be looking forward to hearing more about Korea and seeing your finished petal hat.
    That bag is awesome...geat find.

    happy knitting :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous1:42 AM

    Wow, what a truly exciting and awesome trip this must have been! Looking forward to seeing many more pics! And gosh - this bag must be the most beautiful one I've seen for a long, long time - absolutely stunning!

    ReplyDelete