Saturday, June 24, 2006

Souvenirs

I'm back from my vacation to sunny (except for one day of continual tropical downpour) Puerto Rico, and this is my haul (sunburn not pictured):




The sock coinpurse and finger puppet (which I really hope to be able to duplicate someday!) were from the gift shop of the hotel I stayed at. 99.9% of the stuff they were selling was made elsewhere, so I'm pretty sure it applies to my purchases as well...However, the sand-bleached shells and brain coral came directly from the beaches.

When I was a kid, I went on a trip to Monterey, CA, and brought home some shells like the one pictured bottom right. I lay them out on our backyard and smiled with childish glee at the impressive collection of shells I had accumulated. I sat down and dutifully started cleaning the shells to rid them of some of that "oceanic" smell, when suddenly, something jumped out of one of the shells and grabbed my thumb. Much screaming insued, and to this day, my sea creature phobia causes me to make doubly sure that those things are empty before I take them home. Maybe that's why I collect yarn now; it doesn't bite.

I have two KALs starting in a few days and am getting my supplies together. More knitting related things to be blogged about in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment