Monday, May 26, 2008

Quick Blurb

My apologies for suddenly having disappeared from blog-land; my mother recently had knee replacement surgery and so I've been in California the last few weeks helping her with her recovery. There has been a lot for me to do around the house, and very little free time as a result. I miss reading everyone's blogs-! Luckily my mother has started feeling better the last few days, so I'm looking forward to finally catching up on some reading :) Woohoo!

Before leaving for California, I managed to churn out a couple of knits:

Lacy Flower Sweater
yarn: Rowan Handknit Cotton in "Mango Fool" (great name, huh?)

...for some reason I'm having trouble linking to the free pattern:

www.knitrowan.com/images/freepattern/lacy_sweater_feb_04.pdf

There are errata in the edging: it's supposed to be 14 (16:18:19). The instructions are a bit confusing because there are several different ways they ask for a Yarn Over. If you ever knit this, just do a regular YO every time. I modified the shape into a bit of an A-Line with some flair by decreasing under the arms to a 20" chest circumference.


Child's Cable Jumper
yarn: Katia Diana in a seafoam green

Pretty sure there's an errata in this one too, for the 18mo size; the cast on number of stitches is correct, but the subsequent rows have one too many stitches on the second half of the jumper (there is a P4 that should be a P3.) Both halves of the round should be symmetrical, in other words.



Used for a 60 year old bottle of Madeira which was a B-day gift for a 60 year old friend. I used the bobble and leaf patterns included in the instructions, but assembled them into one big grape cluster. Modified to knit in the round. I had to go up a couple of needle sizes for the base; it kept turning out way too small. :(

6 comments:

  1. Oh my godness! All three projects are fabulous! But my favorite is the wine bottle cozy! That's wonderful!!! Glad you are back. Hope you mom will continue to improve! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You always have the cutest little girl knits over here! Love the little cotton sweater!
    Best to your mom!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad to hear your mother is feeling better.

    The sweater and jumper are adorable! And, that is a very nice gift you made for your friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous6:28 PM

    So are you back in NYC? Or are you still here in CA?

    I hope your mother gets better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow, what gorgeous projects! the wine cozy is especially great! glad to hear you're back in blogland again. : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW...the sweater and jumper are AMAZING!! Absolutely fabulous :)
    The wine bottle cozy is beautiful. Such a thoughtful gift...I bet it was well appreciated :)

    Hope your mother has a speedy recovering...I can imagine she's so happy having you there with her :)

    ReplyDelete